The Washington Post has a useful link that shows who is voting yes for the current Health Care Bill as of March 18th and who is undecided and who plans to vote no.
Here are a few interesting facts:
- In many districts where the Congressperson receives lots of $$$$ from the Health Care Sector, that person plans to vote No or voted No in November the first time the bill went through.
- Also, in many instances the more money a representative receives from the Health Insurance Industry, the less number of people are insured in their district. MEAOW!!!:
Watch Live C-SPAN Coverage of Congress Passing the Historic Health Care Legislation:
Who’s in play: House health-care whip count (click for link to list)
People who Voted No in November 2009 or Plan to Vote No on Bill:
Joe Linus Barton, (R) of Tx-6 received $2,976,021 from the Health Care Industry and 23.30% of people in his district are uninsured.
Brian Phillip Bilbray, (R) of CA-50 received $820,061 from the Health Care Industry and 15.80% of people in his district are uninsured.
Roy D. Blunt, (R) of MO-7 received $2,878,537 from the Health Care Industry and 19.50% of people in his district are uninsured.
John Andrew Boehner, (R) of OH-8 received $2,728,844 from the Health Care Industry and 12.40% of people in his district are uninsured.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, (R) of FL-18 received $987,102 from the Health Care Industry and 32.70% of people in her district are uninsured!
Jason Altmire, (D) of PA-4 received $610,035 from the Health Care Industry and 8.60% of people in his district are uninsured.
John Jenkins Barrow, (D) of GA-12 received $503,828 from the Health Care Industry and 21.30% of people in his district are uninsured.
Why It’s Time to Pass Health Care Now
The Health Care Reform Bill Cuts the Deficit by $138 Billion according to the Congressional Budget Office.
Beware of Inflammatory Talking Points from Republican Congressmen and Political Pundits:
See how many times you can find these talking points in each newscast. Keep track and let me know the big numbers:
Talking Points to watch out for:
- We will lose our Freedom
- This is a government takeover
- This is a Socialist plot
- People crying on how terrible this is.
The subtext: “Be very afraid” in spite of the fact that these words are emotion laden to push your buttons and have no basis in reality. The problem is that Frank Lutz and his cronies have done focus groups to find out what upsets people and makes them angry.
The antidote to Misleading Talking Points:
- People have multiple sources for their information and news about the world.
- Ask questions of the people making inflammatory statements
- Where are their sources of information?
- Is it merely an echo chamber or faux news bouncing back and forth?
- Be critical thinkers